Monday, August 21, 2006

IKEA

There are pros and cons to any retail establishment. Let it be enough said that...we got the furniture we needed, at a decent price, and very stylish, too.

It's what you have to go through to get it.

The IKEA store in the Atlantic Station area of midtown Atlanta is a big, blue monstrosity--the 15 acre complex includes enough parking for every yuppie in the greater Atlanta area, and some change. There were cars in the lot from all over the Southeast. The building itself is 366,000 square feet and includes a couple of restaurants, a play area for kids, and zillions of pieces of furniture and other home decor items.

There are, as far as I know, two levels to the store--the top level is the furniture showroom, and the bottom level is where you can actually buy shit. Items are classified into two categories--stuff you can pick up yourself, and stuff you have to wait several hours for.

My warnings to those considering shopping at IKEA are as follows:

--there's no signage that explains what to do or how to get things...anywhere.
--there are two people working there for about every 17,000 customers.
--they are both rude.

So we pick out some stuff on the showroom floor, we stay within our budget, and I do an ok job of retaining my sanity through the showroom process.

Then we go to try and actually find the stuff we picked out. No major problems, but we chose two items that fall into the "we go get it because its heavy and then we hand it to you and you carry it" category.

There was never any signage explaining how this process works.

On the nice little slip that explained what the red and yellow tags meant, there was no clue given as to who to approach to get this process started, and well, the two employees on the showroom floor were busy talking to other customers...so we asked a young man allegedly working down in the "pick up your own stuff" area for assistance.

This kid needs an absolute kick in his ass. He helped us, begrudgingly, and laughed sarcastically when Dawn told him the info he needed to look stuff up. She didn't know exactly what the number of two night stands were, but knew the name. Every time--as they narrowed the search for the item--and Dawn missed slightly (and it only took Dawn two tries to give him the correct information) he smarted off and smirked sarcastically...

This pissed me off royally and I spoke out--I told him, hackles raised on my neck--that "I could go find attitude somewhere else, I didn't need his" or something.

He ignored me and finally we got what we needed--but I just didn't appreciate that.

IKEA falls into the category of business I despise--the kind popularized in that most famous and for me, a most hated episode of Seinfeld, the "Soup Nazi."

IKEA, like the soup nazi-have what people want, the price is right, and the demand is so high that they don't have to exhibit a pleasant attitude toward the customer.

I think the Southerner in me really comes out in situations like this. Let the "Soup Nazi" be rude to this Georgia boy, and he'll wear that soup. I'll just go home and make some brunswick stew.

I tend to enjoy shopping places where my business is appreciated.

No one's soup...or furniture...is that good.

6 comments:

Button Gwinnett said...

Up until my first trip to IKEA, I always looked at Sweden as a peaceful nation with nothing but good intentions towards the rest of the world. However, I am now convinced that IKEA is part of some world endeavor with evil undertones! Just what is the king of Sweden up to? And is the greatness of the band ABBA true enough to outweigh the spreading plague that is IKEA?

;-)

Russell Palmer said...

Yes, and imagine my surprise when we got this furniture home, looked at it closely and found "Made in China" stickers...

Russell Palmer said...

Wow. I thought I'd get blasted for this post and the "rah you!" comments just keep coming in! Thanks Catherine, for your comment, and you have my pity for your bad IKEA experience.

I keep writing places off, too. It seems I'll have nowhere left to shop. Hm. Guess I'll just order online.

Oh, now if I could only telecommute more.

Cee in SF said...

Ah, the IKEA experience. It is the same of the West Coast. Throngs of shoppers, but no employees in sight. And LOTS of their stuff are missing parts!!!

I will say that my sister worked at IKEA for a spell so I know that there was one person who was helpful and courteous. I think she quit because they cut benefits and made everyone work until they could work no more.

SOLINET Library said...

Well, I'll tell you - the IKEA in Seattle, I liked much better than the one in Atlanta. The salespeople were much nicer and actually wanted to help...so I'm not sure why the people here suck so much.

wng0523 said...

I love the smell of commerce in the morning!

Hey - just take that oversized monstrosity of a store as an international marketplace... Sweden, China - can't we all just get along?