Sunday, August 13, 2006

Ala(damn)bama

On Saturday, Dawn and I went over to Birmingham, Alabama to ride some roller coasters at Alabama Adventure (formerly "VisionLand"--whatever that means). We got up early and inspired on Saturday. It was a rare rainy morning.

We stopped on the way out of town to get some cash. I had noticed my tires were making a strange slapping noise. They always make a clicking noise--but this was somehow different. I suspected a possible flat.

Soooo. I checked the tire pressure. 35. 35. 35. 10. 10 lbs of pressure means a problem so we wound up spending a couple of hours waiting to leave as we waited for the Pep Boys to plug the offending tire. We made the best of it, walked in the slow drizzle down the street to the local coffee shop, Jolty's, had some pastry and coffee, and read the paper.

We ventured back to get the car, and soon,everything was ready to go. Sometimes, an inicident like this is enough to squash my travel bug, but not today. We hit the interstate westbound and down.

140 miles later, we arrived in Birmingham. We grabbed a quick lunch and then hit the park. The temperatures had climbed through the humidity, and the day was warm and damp. We first enjoyed the roller coaster that Dawn rates as her NUMBER 1 wooden roller coaster--Rampage. It was worth the drive--a fun ride with lots of high drops and fun curves. Our day was generally much more enjoyable in ways than a day at Six Flags as we were able to ride, pretty much at will, the Rampage without any waiting in line.

I got my first experience riding a Boomerang--and I found this to be a pretty fun and intense ride.

We rode a couple of water rides--the Dawn-described, "world's shortest log flume." We entered the long line for the rapids ride--everyone had high hopes for a good, cooling soaking--in the end, it was hardly worth the wait as we barely even got damp. Still, it was nice to have water on me that wasn't my sweat.

Up the hill for a few more rides on the Rampage, then we headed out. We drove back in some of the rain we left behind in west Georgia, but finally found a lovely, cool late evening when we arrive back in Douglasville, the first real twinge of the idea of Fall.

3 comments:

Button Gwinnett said...

I'm like you. I would've been prone to take the tire thing as a sign and called the trip. So I'm glad that you two didn't let that stop you!

Cee in SF said...

Good for you two traveling around exploring the magical world of roller coasters! I hear there's a creeky old wooden one on the Santa Cruz Boardwalk that people say is worth a trip to ride...

Russell Palmer said...

Dawn is a roller coater expert--she hasn't been on this "creeky old wooden" coaster you mention, but knows of it and its history. It was built in 1924:

http://www.rcdb.com/id204.htm