Friday, July 21, 2006

Update. Excitement.

So this has been my toughest, but most productive work week since I've moved to the big, scary city. Things are coming together well-- I'm feeling slightly more rested, I'm getting used to the commute--I've found a good shortcut that keeps me off the treacherous downtown connector--which was a big part of that relief--and I'm getting more and more comfortable with my SOLI-colleages.

I completed a series of "Dry Runs" for the class I'll most often be teaching--both the live face-to-face version and the online version. The online stuff was easier than I'd thought, though I still have to develop a teaching style to fit that better. I have a week to think, re-organize, and get ready before I go live on August 1. That's also the same day that I'll be seeing Tom Waits--my first Atlanta concert since the move.

During the dry run process, I found my colleagues here to be completely supportive and nurturing. Max, Marlee, Heather, and all my attendees were just wonderful to work with, and kind even in their constructive criticism.

We're moved in and pretty well settled into our space, a few nic nacs here and there not withstanding. We're finding things to keep us busy, to entertain us--from ducks, to a nice movie theater, to well... Driving to Six Flags or Atlanta for fun.

We've had guests over (my parents) and we now have a dining table.

We're getting a little exercise, walking, and I've found Hunter Park very conducive to the outdoor activities I enjoy--there's some nice tennis courts, a walking track, and I always seem to be able to find an empty baseball field to take some swings in, and work out my aggression. I look forward to getting on the bicycle sometime soon, but maybe we'll do more of that in the Fall, when we can drive down to the Silver Comet Trail and enjoy air that's a bit more brisk than the sultry, damp stuff we're seeing right now.

I'm extremely excited about life for the first time in awhile. Yay!

No comments: