Friday, July 07, 2006

Doin' it Ducky in Douglasville

Things are finally getting settled for Dawn and me in Douglasville. It really is a lovely town, despite a recent description in a new city guide (I heard about this on the radio) as a "haven for rednecks and hillbillies"..."Like Hee Haw." If that's truly the case, then I'm happy to be at home with rednecks and hillbillies.

There's lots to do in Douglasville--a great movie theater, any speciality store you can imagine (well, except nice organic/natural foods), nice parks and a good range of restaurants. It's not as uptown as Atlanta, but it's a nice suburb with a slow pace
Feeling settled, Dawn and I chose last night as the first time to go exploring in Hunter Park. It's right down the road from us, so we hopped in the car and were there in less than a minute.

There we found a nice pond with a walking track around it, open fields and spaces, baseball fields (I'm looking forward to getting in some Sunday morning swings soon!) and..well...Ducks.

A lot of ducks. One goose. White ducks. Big black and white ducks with red rooster heads. Brown ducks. Wood ducks. A Whitman's Sampler duck explosion.


We hit the trail in the wrong direction, observing the "wildlife" along the way. The pond is full of little bream and crappie, and a few people were dipping fishing lines in more as a means of relaxation than as seeking sustinance from the tiny fish. Ducks. Everywhere.

People on the track/trail were very focused on their exercise, whizzing around, swinging arms, perfect posture, speed walking. We walked on to the little off trail trail and discovered a some grass, trees, and a giant mound of bright red Georgia clay. Wow!

So back onto the track type trail and around for another lap. Midway through we stopped for a walk out onto one of several little fishing/observation piers around the pond. As we walked out, one of the big red ducks was harassing the little white ones.

To what end, we did not yet know. This was a complex game of cat and mouse, the bigger, red headed duck in hot pursuit of the prim little pristine white ducky, who was having none of it. She flew, swam, ducked, and dodged, and for awhile, avoided the red head's persistent attack.

Thing was, he wasn't attacking. He was flirting.

The red head finally made his most aggressive move and...well, mounted the little white duckie right there on the lake. Get a room, duckies!

"Now, why ain'nobody chasin' me like that?" we heard a nice lady exclaim from the pier.

"Hello duckie. I like your brown spots."

2 comments:

Button Gwinnett said...

LOL! That's too funny! And I grew up driving tractors, carrying a pocket knife, and swimming in cold creeks. So "redneck" life isn't so bad after all. Even the ducks.....

Cee in SF said...

Thanks for your comments on my blog. Of course, I bookmarked your blog, which I do to folks who leave me comments. Yup, got 4 bookmarks now. Anyway, when I lived in So. Cal., I lived near a pond with a duck soap opera - starring the Blue-Billed Duck. My dog played a role in stirring up the drama, which I enjoyed, by running and prancing about. Good times, they were...