Thursday, May 18, 2006

Puppy Love


My parents have two dachshunds, Lolita and Itsy--and have had several litters of puppies over the years. They were down to the last pup from Lolita's most recent brood, so I told my friend Max about it. I've known Max since graduate school at FSU, and we've been great friends for years--and now we're co workers.

Max knew the puppies were around, but after a dog filled walk in Piedmont Park over last weekend, he decided that the time was right for him to stop dog sitting and start dog owning.

Yesterday, Max asked me tons of questions. I think this is the mark of someone who will truly make a great dog owner! He voiced his concerns about barking noise, training, dog health and more. By midday, Max was ready to meet Rufus.

We left Atlanta around 4 PM and headed down to my little hometown of Cedartown. Once we were out of the city, we had a lovely and occasionally stormy drive through rural Northwest Georgia. It was fun for me to point out all the hometown landmarks to my long time friend along the way. We stopped for dinner at a pretty good little Mexican joint in Cedartown, El Nopal and then drove over to my folks.

We talked with mom and dad for a minute or two, and then Max was ready. We walked out to the yard, fresh and green from recent rain. Lolita and Itsy were very excited to have company--they spend most days lazily prancing around outdoors. The little guy didn't want any part of cold and wet, so he stayed in the crate.

We walked over and Max got his first look at Rufus, who was looking up from the crate door.

Of course, it was love.

Max drove back to the city, so I babysat Rufus on my lap Where he either slept or squrimed around his soft, peach towel. When he was squirmy, he liked to crawl up toward my shoulders so he could see out.

He's definitely going to be a good city dog. He excitedly looked around as we made the transition from suburb to city.

Max was aching to go to PetSmart and have the usual post puppy spending spree, so we said our goodbyes, and I drove back to my room.