Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Boring

Well, yesterday was pretty uneventful for this librarian--if that doesn't go without saying.

Bordeom isn't always tedious. Sometimes its a relief to be bored. At least it's restful. Typical bordeom can be alleviated--watching a movie or tv, finding a good book and really zoning into it...

I have two different kinds of boring in my mind. The worst kind of boring is not just...a lack of something interesting to do, to be alleviated by doing--its something deeper and more strange.

It's a deeply rooted, rotting, ripping feeling. There's loneliness and pain in that particular kind of bored, and restlessness. Attempts to alleviate it by actually doing something are ineffective--you're not becoming "unbored" in a context that works. Watching a movie you've seen six times won't work. Going for a walk won't work. There's usually something in the back of your mind, or someone--that would make it all ok. It's a bordom of inaccessability, of wanting what you can't, in the moment, have.

I use way too many commas.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Boring".. Your blog is anything but. I just called Dawn a bit ago and told her that I was so entertained by the first entry that I made some popcorn and read the rest. You are a very fine and extremely funny writer Russ. You guys planned an incredible trip together that you'll probably beg for a sequel to later this summer. ;)

Can't wait to see you this weekend and I've bookmarked you!

SOLINET Library said...

Well, what I like to do is take a viocdin and take a nice long nap!