Wednesday, October 04, 2006

The Shape I'm In

"Out of nine lives, I spent seven
Now, how in the world do you get to Heaven?
Oh, you don't know the shape I'm in"
-the Band

So it's fall and the Southern air is breathable again, though Indian Summer seems to be
taking hold this week, highs
are thrusting back into the upper 80's again. I'm trying hard to be creative and productive at work this week.

So far,
so good--so I decided to take a break to write a little something or other here,
though I'm not quite sure what.


I went for a longish walk yesterday down at the park, yep, the one with the ducks.
A long time quest to get an ipod
finally came to an end earlier this year. One of the biggest factors in my getting that was inspiration to exercise more.

I forgot it yesterday when I left for my walk.

I did well, though, even without it. I pushed myself to keep doing more, and I even jogged hard through the whole last lap of my excursion. Go me. Sometimes, sweat feels good.

I entertained deep thoughts about the world yesterday, sans ipod. Looking into the water at the ducks and fish, I decided the world's creepy. Then I pulled back from that decision a little bit, and decided that the we're making the world creepy.

In a week that presented one of our most genteel communities with ugliness and death, and our most harsh political arena with, well, at least twisted and inappropriately directed perversion--it's hard to have faith in humanity.

There were lots of moms and kids out walking.

I began to think how they must grow to fear and distrust every
person as a potential threat. It made me sad and less like smiling and saying hello. I hate the idea of making anyone
feel uncomfortable, and it seems like in today's society, that's just the way it's going to be. Parents must naturally distrust every stranger they come into contact with.

Then I pondered my own childhood and how safe it always felt, generally, in small town Georgia growing up.

Maybe parents and children in small town Douglasville feel that way. I hope they do, at least in most situations.

Congress. These are the people we elect, but never trust. I'm honestly not at all surprised.

The Amish. Peaceful isolation disrupted. Somehow, more scary.

Mild domestic disturbance, right outside the bedroom window this morning.

I experience brief moments where I never want to leave the house again. Order in groceries--I hear that's getting cheaper. Telecommute. Lock the doors.

S i g h.







No comments: